Please follow these troubleshooting steps to remove Malware from your Mac.
PART 1: Remove Adware with Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes is a tool which is designed to remove adware from your Mac.
1. Click here to download: https://www.malwarebytes.org/mac-download/
2. Click and drag the Malwarebytes icon into the applications folder.
3. Click Scan to begin the search for malware.
4. Select All found Adware and click Remove Selected Adware.
PART 2: Double-check for Malware with Avast
Avast is a free antivirus which will detect and remove Adware adware from your Mac.
1. Click here to download: http://download.ff.avast.com/mac/avast_free_mac_security.dmg
PART 3: Remove Adware from Browsers (Optional)
If you are still experiencing issues with the Adware in Safari, Firefox, or Chrome, we will need to manually check for malware. This step only needs to be performed if your issues have not been solved by the previous steps.
Remove Adware from Safari
1. From the Safari menu, select “Preferences“.
2. In the Safari Preferences window, click the “Extensions” tab. Find the “Omnibar, SearchMe, VidX, MacShop, MacSave, MacVDx plugin, then click on the “Uninstall” button. This infection can add more than one extension, it is recommended that you remove all unknown extensions from Safari.
3. Next, select “Preferences", go to the “General” tab and change the “Default Search Engine” to Google. Then, in the General tab, find the “Homepage” and change it to “google.com”.
Remove Adware from Google Chrome
1. Click on Chrome’s main menu button, represented by three horizontal lines, When the drop-down menu appears, select the option labeled Settings.
2. Chrome’s Settings should now be displayed in a new tab or window, depending on your configuration. Next, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Show advanced settings link (as seen in the below example).
3. Chrome’s advanced Settings should now be displayed. Scroll down until the Reset browser settings section is visible, as shown in the example below. Next, click on the Reset browser settings button.
4. A confirmation dialog should now be displayed, detailing the components that will be restored to their default state should you continue on with the reset process. To complete the restoration process, click on the Reset button.
Remove Adware from Firefox
1. In the Firefox’s address bar type: about:support, then click on Enter.
2. Click the “Reset Firefox” button in the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page.
3. To continue, click on the “Reset Firefox” button in the new confirmation window that opens.
4. Firefox will close itself and will revert to its default settings. When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click on the “Finish."
Advanced Adware Removal
Chumsearch is a known Mac adware that aggressively burrows into the system by installing itself as an application, browser extension, and creating a malicious Device Profile that allows its effects to persist even after removal.
1. Go to System Preferences and click on Profiles.
2. In the list of profiles on the left side choose AdminPrefs and click on “-” button to remove it.
3. It may be named differently, so remove all visible profiles. Check the picture below to see what it may look like.
4. Repeat steps shown previously about removing extensions and resetting your browser.